Re: [linux-audio-dev] Greetings

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Greetings
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: ti maalis 07 2000 - 15:57:38 EST

On Tue, 07 Mar 2000, Garry Kling wrote:
> Hello all. I'm new to the list (today) and I've really enjoyed reading
> the posts. I recently patented shaving and washing my hands.
>
> I'm porting a real time audio synthesis program to Linux, so the obvious
> question is what real-time engine do you suggest? Would it be this RTC I
> read? Or has anyone experimented with any of the real time kernel hacks
> out there (RED-Linux, KURT, etc)?

forget all other realtime kernel-hacks, since each has his limitations,
plus will never be standard.

linux 2.4 will very problaby contain the low-latency patches therefore
use the patches to do your development meanwhile.

you don't need RTC and MMP to get low latency, this is needed on very
few special cards , the ones which do not support more than 2 audio fragments.

if you look at the diagrams of my page,
( http://www.gardena.net/benno/linux/audio )
they all were generated using simple blocking write() to /dev/dsp
using 3 audio fragments, under extreme system load, without any dropout.

Benno.