Re: [linux-audio-dev] MuCoS, Glame, API Issues

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MuCoS, Glame, API Issues
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ke maalis 08 2000 - 07:19:45 EST

>No, the API looks very strange to me, especially the "host controlled"
>LADSPA_Data * DataLocation per connection!? what is this for (see
>alexanders question below, too)??

so that the host can improve cache performance by reusing data
buffers. if you leave buffer allocation to the plugins, the chances
are that you will trash the cache every time you call a new one. given
that people have noticed this effect in Csound quite easily (if you
reuse variable names for multiple purposes, a Csound instrument
typically runs noticeably faster), I feel confident in pointing out
that this is a very real effect.

--p