Re: [linux-audio-dev] FYI: softwerk, v2.0 coming soon

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] FYI: softwerk, v2.0 coming soon
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ti marras 09 1999 - 19:49:19 EST

On Tue, 09 Nov 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> today, i got a long way porting softwerk to GTK (well OK, Gtk--).
> about 80% of the functionality is in place already.
>
> a major new feature that GTK makes easy to support is an arbitrary
> number of steps and an arbitrary number of sequences. you can
> dynamically add steps and sequences while softwerk is running. of
> course, this ends up involving the dreaded scrollable windows and
> their associated scrolling controls, but the benefits currently seem to
> outweigh the inconvenience. if anyone has any good UI tips on how to
> minimize the damage these cause, i'd love to hear them.

Well, there are the two tracker variants; full scrolling and moving
cursor + page flipping.

The full scrolling way was an obvious choice for the Amiga, as it had
hardware scrolling (no, not the blitter; changing the video read
pointer on the fly). It was actually easier to code than a moving
cursor row... But even on fast machines and video boards, that
requires some effort not to result in a completely useless
flickering CPU+video accelerator hog.

Page flipping OTOH, has to be handled in some clever way not to
become very confusing. Which way works best may depend on what the
display looks like, and of course, user preference...

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer