Re: [linux-audio-dev] acid, linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] acid, linux
From: Billy Biggs (vektor_AT_div8.net)
Date: to joulu  02 1999 - 21:32:06 EST

Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi):

> > - If I'm editing a song, I NEED to visually see the waveform. Without that,
> > I don't see how you can do any reasonable audio editing.
>
> This is more difficult. My advice is to use an external wave-editor
> (that's what I do). I'll release a simple wave editor (ecawave)
> aimed at recording and mixing purposes sometime in Jan-Feb 2000.

  What wave editor do you currently use for Linux? I haven't found one that
doesn't try to load the whole wave into memory. This doesn't work very well
on multiple 80-meg soundfiles.

> [...] However, fine-tuning object layout, writing widgets, making
> connections, has nothing to do with design. It's plain, boring work.

  It's this sort of attitude that's really hurting free software, in my
opinion. Writing effective GUIs and intuitive GUIs is definitely a design
challenge. But, I do see your point, and realize that many people find it very
boring.

  Personally, I find it a worthy and important challenge.

--
Billy Biggs                         vektor_AT_div8.net
http://www.div8.net/billy       wbiggs_AT_uwaterloo.ca