Re: [linux-audio-dev] Musical language / OO design questions...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Musical language / OO design questions...
From: John Littler (jlittler_AT_nirvanet.net)
Date: to tammi  06 2000 - 01:59:37 EST

quoting Paul Winkler:

> all kinds of things... currently I'm fascinated with repetitive
> evolving music, not so much "minimalist" composers, but rather dance
> stuff (particularly jungle/ drum'n'bass) and "ambient", especially
> my current fave, Aphex Twin. But I also have had a desire for years
> to compose beat-less music with the sonic equivalent of a spray can:
> making clouds of events, mostly working with timbre and, for lack of
> a better word ,varying "density" of sound. For this I'm more
> inspired by visual art, particularly a couple Kandinsky paintings (I
> don't remember titles) that have always looked like music to me.

algorithmic with a beat! and a "wand" to put stuff on top of it.

[x]

> b) I haven't found a sequencer for Linux that I like yet. (Though I
> haven't looked at Brahms since it became Brahms.) And some of my
> ideas would be very hard to do with a midi sequencer, for instance
> the cloudy stuff, or simultaneous independent tempo changes in
> different event streams (already working in pysco!).

The Brahms/aRts duo would do some of the stuff you want. You
can have a sequence in aRts that could be triggered by an event
in Brahms. I'm not sure just how complex you can make it though.

> c) I'm too perverse to learn already existing languages like KeyKit
> or CM, I'd rather spend 10X the time re-inventing it myself.

at least that way you'll know it pretty well when you're done :)
Cheers
John

--

http://linuxmusic.cjb.net