Re: [linux-audio-dev] Problem and Solution: time

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Problem and Solution: time
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ke tammi  12 2000 - 23:40:37 EST

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Roger Larsson wrote:
> Something like: No signal change. Use previous data.
> But that can be handled by
> 1/fragment_frequency - with the same buffer pointer every time.
> Skip it: it would in fact break the engine.

Well, yes, it all of a sudden makes time relative to the plugin
calls/client cycles...

Anyway, I like the idea of control signals working something like
what you describe. But I don't think that can replace the event
system, as it's not flexible enough, and way too expensive when it
does things it isn't all that well suited for, like sending
occansional events/signal level changes. However, that kind of
signals can be implemented very nicely on top of my event system,
just the same way as the audio channels. Actually, audio channels
*are* signals...

(BTW, you could view the problem with the "all signal" system from
that angle to make the overhead issue more obvious; imagine forcing
all plugins to accept sample rates that are independently variable on
all audio channels...)

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Rock Solid, Hard Real Time, |
| Plugin & Integration Standard | | Low Latency Signal Processing |
`------> www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `--> www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -'
| Audio Hacker, Linux Advocate, Open Source Advocate, Singer/Composer |