Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: su tammi  16 2000 - 14:04:04 EST

Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> If you ask me...
> Cakewalk and Cubase are what software engineers are able to come up with.
> Most volunteer programmers are just software engineers having no idea
> of better.

You just said that most volunteer programmers are software engineers
too. Why should they be any less innovative than the ones who are
paid for it? With all modesty, I like to think that I would have the
qualifications to work at a company like Cakewalk (aka Twelve Tone)
or Coda, if only they were actually hiring. Since they're not
(their target market is so small that they can't afford to), I get
my music-software-writing kicks outside of work.

I'm sure that's the case with many folks on this list, although there
are probably an equal number of people here who wouldn't be caught
dead producing commercial software, for idealistic reasons. I
personally like the get-the-program-and-source-for-free-but-pay-
for-support model (PEGS would be wonderful for that with all its
callbacks), but I don't have any data on whether or not it is a
feasible approach for keeping a company in business in the long run.
I do have to pay my rent.

> Or maybe a clone is easier to do for the start. Noticing that an audio
> software can be a big project, changing the clone later to something
> different can be a quite difficult task. Try suggest something totally
> different to massive GIMP and you will see what I mean.

Agreed, it is taking the GIMP folks a ridiculous amount of time to
add something which sounds very simple (like 16-bit channels) after
the fact. Not to complain though... they've done an amazing job;
I definitely prefer GIMP over Photoshop when given the choice, and
not just for idealistic reasons.

So if it's so hard to change a basic design paradigm after the fact,
doesn't that mean that you REALLY shouldn't start by making a clone
if you know there are serious problems with the original?

Div.