Re: [linux-audio-dev] 24 bits, 2's complement - help!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] 24 bits, 2's complement - help!
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ma tammi  17 2000 - 22:10:39 EST

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Benno Senoner wrote:
> But explain me please why tables are a no-no ?
> if you generate a few secs of white noise, and let the noise play in a loop,
> you can't almost not detect that there is a loop, you should hear
> a continuous white noise.

On the contrary, the brain is pretty good at detecting cyclic
variations in most situations, sound in particular. Mixing multiple
tabels with different lengths might hide the effect a bit, but I
believe it has to be something like an XOR operation to work - which
pretty much eliminates any precalculated noise shaping done on the
tables...

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Rock Solid, Hard Real Time, |
| Plugin & Integration Standard | | Low Latency Signal Processing |
`------> www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `--> www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -'
| Audio Hacker, Linux Advocate, Open Source Advocate, Singer/Composer |