Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: ma tammi  17 2000 - 11:33:04 EST

David Olofson wrote:

> BTW, the Windoze API encourages building monolithic applications. So
> does Borland's VCL (Delphi, C++ Builder), perhaps to an even greater
> extent, but at least, it *can* be used as a nice GUI development
> tool. (IMHO, "RAD" in Delphi should be "RUID" - Rapid User Interface
> Design - using the rest of the "cool" stuff can be dangerous...)

Far be it from me to promote Microsoft's design methodology, but
having recently done some raw Windows API coding, I feel reasonably
confident in saying that there is nothing inherent in the Win32 API
that encourages monolithic applications. Just like with any other
interface toolkit (GTK, Qt, Motif, etc), it is always wiser to throw
the computational guts of the program into a separate library with a
well-defined programmatic interface, rather than mixing it in with
any GUI code. Windows, for all its faults, has very nice support for
shared libraries, and static ones are also readily available.

Don't ever let an IDE or other automated GUI builder trick you into
thinking that it represents the proper or only way to design code.

Div.