Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)
From: jfm3 (jfm3_AT_acm.org)
Date: to tammi  20 2000 - 11:55:51 EST

Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> > >Actually defining a new standard transport medium for MIDI would fix a lot
> > >of things. 38400 baud really isnt enough anymore. 10baseT anyone?
> > I think that XMidi was a similar proposal. The MMA shot it down.
>
> Any specific reason

Because almost everyone saw it as a really, really bad idea. Kind of like
making your phone "better" by giving you two handsets (for "stereo operation").

Whatever replaces MIDI will not be backward compatible. In the mean time, we'll
probably start to see simultaneous MIDI streams (i.e. firewire) and proprietary
protocols (over USB).

10/100baseT doesn't make a good real time control protocol physical layer. It's
not "real time" enough.

(jfm3)