Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ke tammi  19 2000 - 23:14:08 EST

>> >Actually defining a new standard transport medium for MIDI would fix a lot
>> >of things. 38400 baud really isnt enough anymore. 10baseT anyone?
>> I think that XMidi was a similar proposal. The MMA shot it down.
>
>Any specific reason

Actually, now that I look at it again, XMidi was really a protocol
extension, not a transport level replacement. It appears that all the
URL's I knew of that documented it are dead.

Interestingly, HarmonyCentral is carrying this news item tonight:

 Yamaha Utilizes "Firewire" for Audio and MIDI:
 Reduces Need For Cables

 January 19, 2000 - Yamaha announces mLAN, a multi-channel audio and music data
 format that utilizes "firewire." The complex configuration of cables necessary when
 connecting audio equipment today will soon be replaced by simpler, faster system.
 Yamaha's mLAN promises low-cost high-speed transmission of vast amounts of digital
 audio and music data from diverse sources.

 Firewire, a.k.a. IEEE 1394, was developed from a specification originated by Apple
 Computer, Inc., and was adopted by the US Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
 in 1995. IEEE 1394 is a low-cost high-speed digital interface that connects household
 equipment such as video cameras, audio equipment, and electronic musical instruments
 to one another, and connects computer equipment to household equipment. IEEE 1394
 allows the transmission of data between computers at speeds of up to 400Mbps and the
 sequential connection of picture and audio data between household equipment. This
 frees users from the tangle of wires that today's discrete connections require. One current
 application of IEEE 1394 is the DV terminal on digital video camcorders, which makes the
 transfer of digital picture and audio data between digital camcorders possible.