Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)
From: Eli Brandt (eli_AT_gong.music.cs.cmu.edu)
Date: ti tammi  25 2000 - 09:19:45 EST

> jfm3 wrote:
> > A final thought for this already too long letter. Doing anything "real time" in
> > Python or any other interpreted language is probably a lose in the long run.

I didn't see the original -- jfm3, could you expand on this? Doing
_some_ things interpreted is clearly going to be a lose, like heavy
DSP where the inner loop isn't in a library function.

Figure the difference between native-code compiled and byte-code
compiled (which I think is what we're talking about here) is the
overhead of the byte-code interpreter. This may be substantial, but
it's not going to come in millisecond-long bursts, that I can see.
So since RT is about predictability, not speed, this looks fine.

I'm not going to defend Max as a _language_, but as a real-time
system, running in the MacOS timer interrupt, it works pretty well.

--
     Eli Brandt  |  eli+@cs.cmu.edu  |  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~eli/