Re: [linux-audio-dev] BeOS everywhere

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] BeOS everywhere
From: Maurizio DE CECCO (maurizio_AT_mandrakesoft.com)
Date: to tammi  27 2000 - 06:11:35 EST

"Constantin Lazarev" <const_lazarev_AT_hotmail.com> writes, answering my post:

> >Well, Steinberg developed ASIO because the audio stuff on windows was not
> >good
> >enough right ?
> >
> >So, what is the problem ? ;->
>
> I think that a problem is in some limitation of standard audio interface in
> Linux (I mean OSS). There are no support for multi-stream hardware (16 and
> more hardware streams), no standard support for hardware acceleration.

  [ ... etc etc ... ]

Sorry, i didn't make me clear enough.

What i mean is that companies like Steinberg had no problem in developing
from scratch a complete audio system and real time scheduler for Windows,
and before RTOS for Atari.

Once it is clear that there is a potential market oppurtunity
for music applications on Linux, i don't think it would be a problem
for Steinberg to heavily invest on ALSA or OSS, or port their stuff
to the linux kernel, and having a Linux version of VST (they had it
for IRIX, once).

Maurizio

--
Maurizio De Cecco