Re: [linux-audio-dev] BeOS everywhere

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] BeOS everywhere
From: Jim Jackson (jj_AT_scs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: to tammi  27 2000 - 04:18:36 EST

On 26 Jan 2000, Bill Gribble wrote:

> > But have not to forget that sometimes (almost any time) it is not
> > possible for hardware manufacturer to open hardware documentation or
> > driver source code due to some know-how and licensed solutions that
> > may be used in that hardware.
>
> Give me one realistic example of a situation where a company subjects
> itself to actual harm, licensing trouble, or a competitive
> disadvantage by describing the interface to its hardware. I just
> don't believe it's an actual problem. It's all just fear of a new way
> of thinking by management and engineering people who make up reasons
> to avoid thinking about change.

Bad hardware design? The good thinh with "Open source"ing is that you lay
your design and implementation open to public scrutiny. You cannot
lie^H^H^Hmislead people thru' P.R. and advertising to coverup
inadequacies. Given that some companies rush to get to market, they
probably leave rough edges to hardware/intefaces that are covered up by
software cludges. They do NOT wnat this to be known. Good companies with
good designs have nothing to worry about and much to gain.

> > I think that it is not possible to make Linux one of most popular OS for
> > hardware manufactures and, therefore, consumers without solution of these
> > issues.
>
> The only real issue is that hardware manufacturers need to wake up and
> realize that they can only gain by documenting their hardware.

The good ones will of course realise this.

Jim