Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: ma helmi  07 2000 - 09:52:23 EST

On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> Perhaps between the two of us, we could at least agree on a format
> for saving multitrack audio files.
[...]
> ardour currently uses a directory to hold a "tape". each track is a
> file, named using 3 digits (up to 999 tracks) plus an alphabetic
> suffix to allow multiple takes per track (i.e. 007b is the second take

Hmm, IMHO it would be best to store the actual audio data using some
popular audio format (for example WAV/AIFF, file per track). Other
info (global data), could be saved into some application specific
format. Otherwise you need audio import/export functionality, etc.

> file-per-directory, called "header", which contains the sample rate,
> sample width and other "global" data for the "tape", including various
> region definitions and names. currently, all soundfiles are just raw

To support this in ecasound, I'd have to code a utility which converts
your tape-format into an ecasound session and then launches ecasound.
Same can be done with ecawave. Currently I'm using a much more
lowlevel approach. Here's a sample ecasound session file:

--cut--
-b:1024 -sr:44100 -n:ruoka-mix-3 -m:normal
-a:1 -f:s16_le,2,44100 -i osaloop-5.wav
-a:2 -f:s16_le,2,44100 -i osaloop-1-fx7.wav
-a:3 -f:s16_le,2,44100 -i sprinkle.wav
-a:4 -f:s16_le,2,44100 -i acuguitar-4.wav
-a:5 -f:s16_le,2,44100 -i oldmoog-1-fx.wav
-a:7 -f:s16_le,2,44100 -i guitar-fades.wav
-a:6 -f:s16_le,1,44100 -i sinebass-1-fx2-ed.wav

-a:1,2,3,4,5,7,6 -f:s16_le,2,44100 -o ruoka-13.wav

-a:1 -ea:120.00
-a:2 -ea:140.00
-a:3 -ea:100.00
-a:4 -epp:85.00 -ea:165.00
-a:5 -ea:11.50 -epp:60.00
-a:7 -epp:15.00 -ea:45.00
-a:6 -erc:1.00,2.00 -ea:70.00
--cut--

Tracks are independent sources, and all additional info
is stored into the filename. This makes it easy to use
other apps together with ecasound. Btw; this a "final mixdown"
session used to create my song "Ruoka". You'll find it
at http://www.mp3.com/sculpscape ... :)

Btw; do you really need to load all 26 tracks to an audio wave
editor at the same time? IMHO it would be better to have a separate
audio sequencer (multiple track display) and soundfile editor (one
track at a time).

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing