Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: su helmi  06 2000 - 00:24:31 EST

Kai -

Perhaps between the two of us, we could at least agree on a format
for saving multitrack audio files.

ardour currently uses a directory to hold a "tape". each track is a
file, named using 3 digits (up to 999 tracks) plus an alphabetic
suffix to allow multiple takes per track (i.e. 007b is the second take
of track 7). tracks are numbered from zero. there is an additional
file-per-directory, called "header", which contains the sample rate,
sample width and other "global" data for the "tape", including various
region definitions and names. currently, all soundfiles are just raw
32 bit data streams. i am open to the possibility of making them all
be mono WAV and/or AIFF files (just need to add an offset then
seeking, to take the header into account).

let me know what you're doing, and hopefully we can converge on
something standard, thus maybe getting suitable editors to use the
same conventions or at least understand ours.

there is also the .PAF format, used by Ensoniq's Paris, which perhaps
solves some of these problems too. i should look into that. at least
one linux soundfile library has support for it. i know nothing about it.

--p