[linux-audio-dev] audio data editors

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] audio data editors
From: jfm3 (jfm3_AT_acm.org)
Date: ma helmi  07 2000 - 10:54:54 EST

Here is my wish list for an audio data editor.

o) A "plug-in" (o how I loathe that buzz) system with a robust set of
default plug-ins. The usual simple reverbs, dynamics processors, and
pitch-shift effects are crucial.

o) Batch mode. I need to be able to write a
bash/perl/python/guile/something program to do "whatever" to a thousand
or so files in batch time. This used to kill me frequently when I still
did audio with a M$ OS. SoundForge's "batch" facilities are a big
loose. ecasound is attractive to me for this reason.

o) a GTK user interface and integration with the GNOME desktop.

o) wave and frequency spectrum views

o) a way to see how the tail end of the wave transitions into the
beginning of the wave.

o) No FM, DTMF, or brainwave synthesizer :)

In general, I find myself wanting a sound file editor. I'm not so
interested in recording into it, nor do I particularly want to see flash
when it plays back. I realize that for large pieces of audio, this
batch approach is undesireable, but ...

I spent some time long ago fooling with the (now defunct) audiotech
(sp?) project. Alas, DSP is beyond my mathematical abilities and so
I am limitied in what I can contribute.

(jfm3)