Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: ma helmi  07 2000 - 11:31:22 EST

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> ardour currently uses a directory to hold a "tape". each track is a
> file, named using 3 digits (up to 999 tracks) plus an alphabetic
> suffix to allow multiple takes per track (i.e. 007b is the second take
> of track 7).

I know this sounds insane, but I wonder if this will come back to
bite you in 10 years. :)

Imagine a pro studio running on a linux system in 2010 (c'mon, what
else are they gonna use, Windows2010? Yeah right!), recording onto a
100 TB storage system.

26 takes of 1000 tracks sounds like an incredible amount now, but
pro studio work methods seem to always evolve to max out the
capabilities of whatever the current technology is. Sooner or later
someone will gripe "dammit, I wish I didn't have to limit myself to
1000 tracks". I don't know in what circumstances this would ever
happen, but then again, 16 bit PCM sound was supposed to be
"perfect". And CDs were supposed to be "indestructible". And why
would anyone ever need 700k of memory? etc.
Of course if this ever happened, it could be fixed since ardour is
open source, but then you have to worry about backwards
compatibility with all those "194g" files they have lying around.

So why not buy a few more years by over-engineering now? Why not
have a file 999999zzz ? Let's see, that's ...
17,576 takes of 1 million tracks...

OK, sorry about that. I really AM crazy.
But maybe 676 takes of 10,000 tracks isn't so crazy?
9999zz ?

slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.
A member of ARMS -----> http://www.reacharms.com
or http://www.mp3.com/arms or http://www.amp3.net/arms
personal page ----> http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo