Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: ma helmi  07 2000 - 22:13:27 EST

>As I've said before, writing a good GUI takes a lot of time. Adding
>multitrack capability to a wave editor adds complexity and thus
>requires more development time.

thats why i want to port Snd. it already has multitrack capability, it
already has edit lists, etc. etc. we don't have to work on that
stuff. all we need to do (!) is to move to a much more modern toolkit,
and one that is still actively supported by a much broader community
of developers than Motif ever was.

>And also, I don't think ProTools approach is the UNIX way to do it.
>For instance with ecawave, I could have written an internal wave
>editor for qtecasound, but I decided to release it as a separate
>package, so others audio-apps can use it. In other words, we should aim to
>develop apps for specific tasks. And of course, developing
>inter-application communication (did I say MuCoS) is also important.
>Keeping multitrack audio data in a standard format is a good example
>of this. This way we'll get our LinProTools much faster.

I agree entirely, except that I prefer using C++ objects as the
"interface point", rather than the Unix process level. however, those
standard formats are critical, and we need to make sure that as many
of us can use them as possible for all of our various purposes.

--p