Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Eli Brandt (eli_AT_t.gp.cs.cmu.edu)
Date: to helmi  10 2000 - 11:14:28 EST

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> If you do an edit that results in any temporal motion of a sample
> within the file, you may have to rewrite up to 100% of the file. That
> is *absurd*, especially given that non-destructive editing results on
> no rewriting, ever.

>From talking to Dominic Mazzoni about the (unreleased) audio editor he's
working on, I've been made aware of how many approaches there are
available. For example, he's keeping each track as a linked list of
files, each holding from N to 2N samples. To insert or delete at any
point requires shifting at most 2N samples; you pick N so that's a
reasonable latency. So this is a way to do destructive editing without
having to move the entire file around.

Text editors and audio editors each face roughly the same problem;
Dominic points out a handy survey of techniques:
        http://www.cs.unm.edu/~crowley/papers/sds/sds.html
(The "piece list", for example, is non-destructive; it's like an
insert/delete edit-list.)

--
     Eli Brandt  |  eli+@cs.cmu.edu  |  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~eli/