Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: to helmi  10 2000 - 00:36:23 EST

>Text editors and audio editors each face roughly the same problem;
>Dominic points out a handy survey of techniques:
> http://www.cs.unm.edu/~crowley/papers/sds/sds.html
>(The "piece list", for example, is non-destructive; it's like an
>insert/delete edit-list.)

thanks for the pointer (too bad the diagrams seem to be missing).

there is one rather substantial additional problem that audio editors
face if you want to do use an edit list during playback, and thats
sensible coordination of read-ahead/disk seeking with the edit list.
text editors, because they deal with low data rates and don't face
realtime deadlines, don't have to face this issue. figuring out how to
do read-ahead sensibly with an edit-list is one of my challenges for
the coming weekend. this includes how to implement what Crowley calls
the "add buffer" in a way that minimizes disk seeks.

--p