Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: su helmi  13 2000 - 12:11:05 EST

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> I don't this this is true. It seems to me that you are confusing the
> implementation of punch-in/out with the concept. I agree that you can
> just store the new material in a new "track" for implementation
> purposes, but from the point of the recording engineer, the goal has
> been to re-record a section of an existing track, with appropriate
> transitions between the new and old material.

Hmm, I understand your point. Still, I like to keep tracks visible
and make it clear that they are individual files. Users can do
punch-in/outs whatever to them. If you do all song production steps
yourself (composing, recording, mixing, etc), this works IMHO better.

I admit that for traditional recording purposes (recording live
takes, etc), it would be better to write a new user-interface.

> That goal doesn't go away just because you can have as many tracks as
> you like - you still want to be able to step in and re-record a
> fumbled chord or whatever. There still remains the problem of the

Well, as I've said before, I don't like to edit tracks in this way
after recording. I prefer recording a "pool of source material" and
then during mixing, I compile the final mix from them.

But I guess this is a good time to stop. Otherwise we'll soon have
a recording technique flame-war in our hands. ;)

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing