Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: pe helmi  11 2000 - 09:42:43 EST

>> Absolutely. But its the level required in a commercial studio, whether
>> we like it or not.
>
>True, although I still like to believe that I'm developing audio
>software for my own purposes. ;) Motivation and interest are
>extremely important, and even more so with free software.

I understand entirely. Its just that right now, my motivation and
interest are in writing free software for a commercial studio :)

>solutions. For instance, punch-in/outs aren't really necessary
>when you can use as many tracks as you like.

I don't this this is true. It seems to me that you are confusing the
implementation of punch-in/out with the concept. I agree that you can
just store the new material in a new "track" for implementation
purposes, but from the point of the recording engineer, the goal has
been to re-record a section of an existing track, with appropriate
transitions between the new and old material.

That goal doesn't go away just because you can have as many tracks as
you like - you still want to be able to step in and re-record a
fumbled chord or whatever. There still remains the problem of the
cross-fade, because whether its in a different file or not, it is
unacceptable to just switch straight into the new material. If its a
low frequency sound, for example, you'll get a pronounced click every
time. So, when the re-record is done, something has to be done by the
software to impose a cross-fade between the new material and the old
material. That cross-fade has to come with sensible defaults, happen
automatically (at both ends of the overdub), and be variable over a
wide range.

If you don't do this, anyone used to "regular" studio gear will have
no interest in it, because they have to do a lot more work every time
they need to re-record something on any given track.

--p