Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio engine stuff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio engine stuff
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: ke helmi  16 2000 - 17:22:17 EST

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> >
> > Hello. I wrote quite quickly what is below. All these patent problems
> > frustates so that I wanted to put a couple of tricks out ASAP. I have
> > no idea if they are new or not. You can find them below too.
>
> Why are you bothering about patents? You're working in Finland
> which does not have the same problems as the US and you're
> writing free software (I assume).
>
> The only reason (as I see it) to worry about patents is if you
> are writing commercial software and you want to sell it in the
> US.
>
> Erik

Juhana is worried because he thinks that if we write our free,
disk-based soft-sampler Nemesystech will sue us.
:-)

Anyway disk buffering schemes are as old as ENIACS :-)

I don't think Nemesystech will sue use because
we are writing software which issues an
mlock() call to keep the initial portion of the sample in memory,
mmap()s the rest into mem, and streams the data to a lock-free
ringbuffer ( Paul, lockfree is cool, isn't it ? :-) ) do a dsp thread.

again , when I get some time, I will write my usual hack to provide
a working proof of concept. :-)

Benno.