Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio engine stuff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio engine stuff
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: ke helmi  16 2000 - 17:57:13 EST

>From: Benno Senoner <sbenno_AT_gardena.net>
>
>Juhana is worried because he thinks that if we write our free,
>disk-based soft-sampler Nemesystech will sue us.
>:-)

Not actually. I were worried about because Paul decided to not implement
the feature (a couple of weeks ago). It does matter if we get sued but
if people starts perform self-censorism, will it be _very bad_.

Their patent's front page says:
"The software routine stores a first part of each waveform
signal in a sample pool of host memory and provides remaining portitions
of selected musical sounds from the hard drive to a stream cell array
without an audio perceivable delay."

>Anyway disk buffering schemes are as old as ENIACS :-)

The simple disk buffering is different; some buffering schemes may not
give the fast start at playing! Also, my audiofile virtual memory system
is yet another scheme.

You may see basic buffering in programs but not these advanced ones.
Some Linux programs still loads the whole audiofiles/samples to memory.

If you can't find a single program (earlier than 1997) with preload for
fast start at playing, please let me know! (Or with special audiofile
virtual memory...)

>a lock-free ringbuffer

I guess I have missed something in recent discussions...

>again , when I get some time, I will write my usual hack to provide
>a working proof of concept. :-)

Thanks!

Hmm.. hey, no comments about inserting plug-ins to the engine on-the-fly?

BTW, I have now written a bit a library for easy implementation of different
multiprocess tasks: messages, servers, forks, etc.

Juhana