Re: [linux-audio-dev] Software filter engines for high end audio and now DSP's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Software filter engines for high end audio and now DSP's
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: ke helmi  16 2000 - 18:42:24 EST

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Frank J. Carmickle wrote:
>> Some other good things about the UP2000 board is that it has two PCI buses,
> 256 bit memory bus, 128 bit paths to each of the CPUs, two 64 bit PCI
> slots, AIC7891 on board, works on standard atx power supplies, and costs
> around $8000 with both processors. You can get it with 600 667 or 750 MHz
> processors, with either 2 4 or 8 mb of cache on the processor card.
> Considering the kind of performance you are getting it works out pretty
> well.
>
> Let me know if you come up with some calculations to show the differences
> in DSP like performance of the Alpha verses the Athlan.

As soon we have a rudimentary plugin system working, and some
plugins which support SMP, we could develop a sort of
DAW benchmark ( DAW-mark ? :-) ) , which could run serveral things in parallel
(plugins, streaming from/to disk etc) so that we would be able to
classify the performance of various system.
Anyway the Alpah is fast, but doesn't have the best price/performance ratio.
I think with the PPC you get more MIPS/$, but I could be wrong.
( I am basing my assumptions on the comparisions of the bytemark results
of PPC vs Alpha vs x86)

Benno.