Re: [linux-audio-dev] Software filter engines for high end audio and now DSP's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Software filter engines for high end audio and now DSP's
From: Fredrik (aeonek_AT_home.se)
Date: ti helmi  15 2000 - 20:46:18 EST

> Anyway the Alpah is fast, but doesn't have the best price/performance
ratio.
> I think with the PPC you get more MIPS/$, but I could be wrong.
> ( I am basing my assumptions on the comparisions of the bytemark results
> of PPC vs Alpha vs x86)

Bytemark is known to be very "PPC-friendly". I've seen bytemark scores where
the PPC is twice as fast as a PII scoring equally in SPEC95. Where did you
get the prices though? Macs don't have a very good MIPS/$ ratio, from what
i've seen. And Alpha have a descent MIPS/$ ratio, but they can be a little
too fast. Instead of getting speed for your money, you're getting a lot of
speed for a lot of your money.

  --Fredrik