Re: [linux-audio-dev] join LAD! (fwd)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] join LAD! (fwd)
From: David O'Toole (dto_AT_qwsi.net)
Date: to helmi  24 2000 - 19:10:10 EST

> software synthesis package until we're pretty sure how these should work -
> which I don't expect us to have nailed down any year soon - plus
> standardisation might stifle development. Again, as PBD says, if people can

I agree with you and Paul here; this is one reason (one of several) why
I don't think MPEG-4 SA is such a hot idea. It's an experimental phase
right now. I also don't mean to say that we're all going to end up using
one single library, because it doesn't look like any one thing could
satisfy all the needs being expressed. I think we should look for
commonality where we can, but not go overboard.

> 2) A simple plugin API. IMHO this should be a simple *SUBSET* of all these
> systems in use rather than a superset. This way people can start coding up
> filters and processors and plug them into Csound, Quasimodo or whatever,
> making the plugin independent of the flavour of synth engine in use. The
> Quasimodo opcode plugin API is very close to this.

The completed GNU OCTAL plugin API I'm going to be releasing soon, tries
to do this as simply as possible. While it is meant for a specific
purpose (rather than an attempt at The One True Plugin Standard) it may
fit the bill because it's easy to code for and is as "policy-free" as I
can make it. Of course when this is published (after final revisions and
code tests) I would definitely be interested in hearing your input on
it, as this list has been a source of lots of info + perspectives on the
tasks at hand.

BTW The OCTAL project is moving along well, I post regular updates at
www.gnu.org/software/octal