RE: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: pe maalis 03 2000 - 06:42:39 EST

From: Paul Barton-Davis [SMTP:pbd_AT_Op.Net]
[...]
>But take a look at a Digidesign or VST plugin catalog at some point,
>and then tell me that none of those "plugins" ever make a system call
>let alone a library call.
>
>If you consider a plugin to be purely an implementation of a DSP
>algorithm, then this kind of restriction is OK, but I would like to be
>able to host "plugins" that can do a lot more than that. Given that
>its the user who "plugs them in", its not the responsibility of the
>host engine to be sure that it can meet RT deadlines. The host's job
>is just to execute whatever the user asked for in the right order.
[...]

I quite agree. In particular I'm concerned about use of the maths library.

Perhaps we should agree some more detailed advice (but not instructions)
for plugin programmers just so they know what they are getting themselves
in to for RT.

We could also add a flag to the plugin to indicate 'kernel friendly' or
suchlike if people can provide a formal definition of the requirements for
this.

-- Richard