Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: la maalis 04 2000 - 13:42:34 EST

On Fri, 03 Mar 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> Aren't we just going to use LADSPA_Data (typically a float?) for all
> the data ? I didn't think there was any chance of having more than one
> data type anywhere in the system. MuCoS would include an event type,
> but thats a different story altogether. Or am I missing something ?

Well, I'm just thinking about what MuCoS will do, but it *is*
possible in any API of this kind to say that data is some stuff
inside a buffer of a certain size. Then it's "just" a matter of
making sure the engin can tell what inputs and outputs can be
connected directly, and use an array of conversion plugins to handle
cases where inputs and outputs have different formats. No run time
overhead, unless you actually do mix plugins using different data
formats.

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'