Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: la maalis 04 2000 - 20:26:17 EST

>but I think it's plain wrong to have the API enforce hardcoding of
>the data format into all plugin hosts. That would fragment the
>plugins into different classes, using different formats, with few or
>no ways of integration. Having the ability to run a 16 bit int
>plugins together with 32 bit float plugins would eliminate the need
>for special, incompatible versions of the API.

the goal seems worthy. the result, however, will be to encourage
situations that force the x86 to perform one of its least efficient
operations, and one of the major reasons for the difference in x86 vs,
say, MIPS performance when doing, for example, interpolated wavetable
lookups: the dreaded int16<->float conversion.

this is a conversion you want to do once, and once only if you have to
do it at all.

--p