Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: ma maalis 06 2000 - 11:55:53 EST

>From: Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi>
>
>routines for in-place, and addition-based processng,

These can be hidden from plug-in author.

>routines for int and float streams

Streams are byte streams and it is up to a plug-in how they are used.
No testing of the data format is needed at runtime.

I yet don't know exactly what plug-ins should be computed with int
and is there a great need to patch those int-plug-ins. In normal
case float streams alone are ok but certain dsp processes really
needs 32-bit integers (instead of practically 24+ bits floats).
If a user wants to build a complex dsp process needing this extra
precision with opcodes/plug-ins, int streams must be provided.

If we don't allow this flexibility, then plug-in author has to code
everything inside his plug-in.

I cannot see what makes this system more complex. Plug-in author
writes his plug-in using whatever formats, and fills a table telling
flow network patcher what kind of formats it uses. Simple.

Juhana