Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: ma maalis 06 2000 - 11:30:47 EST

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> I'm also forward to having multiple stream types and flexibility in the
> system. And we seem to need both (i) float and int computations, (ii)
> float and int streams.

This is starting to look dangerous. If the plugin system requirements
are too "high", I'm afraid that we are not going to see that many
plugins. If I have to use custom memory allocation, provide
routines for in-place, and addition-based processng, routines for
int and float streams, ..., I'll rather just use some other system.
In other words, I think it's better that these things are optional. We
can give guidelines on how to write good, hard-realtime capable plugins,
but if I want to write a "bad plugin", the plugin system shouldn't stop
me. I might just want to experiment with some algorithm idea, and not
bother with coding details.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing