Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: ma maalis 06 2000 - 03:43:23 EST

>From: David Olofson <david_AT_gardena.net>
>
>Ok, a safe alternative to keep uneducated plugin developers from
>mixing data formats (ie creating pro audio plugs with integer data or
>consumer plugs with 64 bit fp data) - make it a compile time option.

Compile time of what? The plug-in or the engine? Neither makes
sense here.

32-bit integers does provide better resolution than 32-bit float, but
correct me if I'm wrong. And Intel's mmx integer tech is faster than
floats, so I read from a paper (more on that later).

It makes sense to allow integer streams so that no forbitten float<-->int
conversions are done. A plug-in could provide both int and float versions
of which the flow builder selects one which suits better.

I'm also forward to having multiple stream types and flexibility in the
system. And we seem to need both (i) float and int computations, (ii)
float and int streams.

Juhana