Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple Plugin API: In/Out Ports
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: su maalis 05 2000 - 20:05:49 EST

On Sun, 05 Mar 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> the goal seems worthy. the result, however, will be to encourage
> situations that force the x86 to perform one of its least efficient
> operations, and one of the major reasons for the difference in x86 vs,
> say, MIPS performance when doing, for example, interpolated wavetable
> lookups: the dreaded int16<->float conversion.
>
> this is a conversion you want to do once, and once only if you have to
> do it at all.

So, we specify that only 32 bit float data is allowed, and force most
non-professional plugins and hosts to use a different API? Or will
games and the like use 32 bit fp processing?

Ok, a safe alternative to keep uneducated plugin developers from
mixing data formats (ie creating pro audio plugs with integer data or
consumer plugs with 64 bit fp data) - make it a compile time option.

I just don't see why it should be made practically impossible to mix
plugins at your own risk, when you could just tell the developers
"Professional is 32 bit fp, consumer is 16 bit int - DON'T mix
them!", or something. Hackers can't read, or what? ;-)

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'