Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA::runAdding()

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA::runAdding()
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 20:53:43 EEST

>From: Paul Barton-Davis <pbd_AT_Op.Net>
>
>Of course. Why on earth should it not be able to do this ? If its
>called with runAdding(), it just does nothing; if called with run(),
>it just writes zeroes. How else would a delay work ?

In both cases there is a signal flow, right? What I asked can the plug-in
output nothing at all, no signal flow. Imagine the next plug-in is
a disk writer which writes anything it gets to disk.

If we don't want the signal to disk, (i) the disk writer plug-in could
forbit it, (ii) host could cut off the signal before it gets to disk writer,
(iii) the first plug-in don't generate any output.

Case (iii) is attractive because there would not be unnecessary signal
streaming when nothing is written to disk. And the case (iii) cannot be
done (but see my question above) with runAdding() or with run() as
described above.

Argh, lets forget this discussion if this is not going anywhere...

Juhana