Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio application mixing/routing arch

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio application mixing/routing arch
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 01:22:34 EEST

On Mon, 03 Apr 2000, Frank J. Carmickle wrote:
[...GUI stuff...]
> Well I have ben watching this discussion for as long as it has been going
> on. I have been trying to stay out of the way to let you guys figure it
> out on your own. However I would like to interject.
>
> There are some of us out here who don't want a gui at all. I don't think
> that it is necessary to have a gui and especially not in the low level
> communications between hosts and plugins.

This is exactly why I have been complaining about anything like even
allowing GUI code inside plugins. Most plugins are just low level
processing code modules, and should be expected to work in any
environment with the CPU it was compiled for, and an implementation
of the plugin API.

BTW, I don't even like the HINTS part of LADSPA, even though that's
information that *should* be available somewhere anyway. Still, I
think it's more of structured documentation than something that
belongs in the API, and further, it *is* possible that some plugins
may just use the default port behavior and ranges, thus not needing
to provide this info at all... Then again, as there doesn't seem to
be an obvious logical solution, the simplest solution seems to be the
winner. I don't like it the way it is, but as I don't have a really
good alternative, I'll just forget about it for now.

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'