[linux-audio-dev] Amiga = RTOS for Linux , LOL !

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Amiga = RTOS for Linux , LOL !
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 23:40:10 EEST

read this article about the upcoming Amiga based on Linux:

----
At Amiga's Amiga2000 developers' conference in St. Louis over the
                weekend, the company gave a sneak peek at some of its forthcoming
                interface technology. McEwen called the Amiga interface a "multimedia
                RTOS (real-time operating system)."

"Like (Microsoft's) DirectX is an RTOS for Windows, we are an RTOS for Linux," McEwen explained.

For those who haven't kept up, Amiga isn't a PC vendor anymore. ---- http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/0,4153,2522517,00.html

what a nice PR:

RTOS for Linux ?

There are only 2 ways to go:

- RTLinux: not suitable for multimedia, because it would require a rewrite of all audio/video drivers

- low latency extension

I think they are forced to go the low-latency way

But what kind of innovative things are they doing then ( in the RTOS context) ?

DirectX: what a crap , plus it isn't an RTOS it's a badly designed direct access API.

audio plugins ? , there is already LADSPA :-) direct video: SDL.

I think AMIGA will add a mere GUI to standard linux components, selling it as the NEW technology.

anyway AMIGA was nice at the time, but now it's time for more modern OSes.

Benno.