Re: [linux-audio-dev] DSP and clusters

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] DSP and clusters
From: Jussi Laako (jussi_AT_jlaako.pp.fi)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 21:21:47 EEST

Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> What that all means in english? Can I implement 120 track recorder
> using two/three computers while final audio comes out only from one
> computer?

Basically yes, that's possible. But it's better suited for parallel
processing. You could run 120 track edit system with 4 nodes and every node
processing it's own 30 channel set. You could put input to one system and
get output from the same system, but processing is done in 4 systems in
parallel with binary run virtually only once.

Think it as something like fork(), but childs execute on different nodes.
To make it more complicated, node count doesn't have to be same as child
count... You can communicate between nodes using messages (in MPI).

 - Jussi

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at: ldap://certserver.pgp.com, http://keys.pgp.com:11371