Re: [linux-audio-dev] patch MIDI apps together?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] patch MIDI apps together?
From: Stefan Nitschke (sn_AT_vtourist.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 12:46:32 EEST

Paul Winkler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've seen occasional posts here regarding the possibility of some
> kind of MIDI loopback. I have both OSS/Linux and Alsa 0.5.7
> installed, and I can't figure out from the documentation of either
> if such a thing already exists. I found an old message on l.a.d.
> from PBD saying OSS already has some kind of midi loopback, but
> (sorry if I'm dense) I can't find it.
>
> Basically I want to see if I can route the output of Jazz++ or some
> other sequencer directly into a soft-synth (ANY soft synth...
> TiMidity, Xsynth, aRts, what have you...)

Its a good question ;) i tried a similar thing after upgrading to linux 2.2.x
some time ago without success with OSS. It would be cool to connect
e.g Jazz++ with a soft synth via a pipe or midi loopback but the
dev/sequencer doesn't seem to implement such a thing. btw i use rtsynth
which of course has support for "midi" pipes.

- Stefan