[linux-audio-dev] patch MIDI apps together?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] patch MIDI apps together?
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 07:09:50 EEST

Hi,

I've seen occasional posts here regarding the possibility of some
kind of MIDI loopback. I have both OSS/Linux and Alsa 0.5.7
installed, and I can't figure out from the documentation of either
if such a thing already exists. I found an old message on l.a.d.
from PBD saying OSS already has some kind of midi loopback, but
(sorry if I'm dense) I can't find it.

Basically I want to see if I can route the output of Jazz++ or some
other sequencer directly into a soft-synth (ANY soft synth...
TiMidity, Xsynth, aRts, what have you...)

I thought of using plain old FIFOs, but there are two problems
there:
1) Sequencers seem to rely on the soundcard driver for timing, which
the FIFO can't provide.
2) application designers continue to present users with a limited
selection of input/output devices so pipe tricks like that are
disallowed.

pointers to documentation or instant HOWTO's (just add water) would
be much appreciated!!

I feel obligated to point out that I am currently writing some
tutorials for learnlots.com on linux multimedia. This is paid work
($50 per tutorial). If I get sequencer => softsynth patching to
work, I hope to make that a tutorial topic. I don't want any helpful
people here to feel ripped off, so:

--I will never plagiarize anything, obviously; it will all be my own
words.

--I wouldn't mind sharing some of that big fat $50. Frankly at this
point I'm scrambling to meet the deadline, and I barely have enough
topic ideas, so at this point I'm really just hoping for a solution.

slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.
A member of ARMS -----> http://www.reacharms.com
or http://www.mp3.com/arms or http://www.amp3.net/arms
personal page ----> http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo