Re: [linux-audio-dev] patch MIDI apps together?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] patch MIDI apps together?
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 18:04:49 EEST

>I've seen occasional posts here regarding the possibility of some
>kind of MIDI loopback. I have both OSS/Linux and Alsa 0.5.7
>installed, and I can't figure out from the documentation of either
>if such a thing already exists. I found an old message on l.a.d.
>from PBD saying OSS already has some kind of midi loopback, but
>(sorry if I'm dense) I can't find it.

As Jaroslav has said, though not quite so directly:

   ALSA: use the virmidi module or the ALSA sequencer, which allows routing
         from any client to any other client of the sequencer, including
         multiplexed routing

   OSS: use the v_midi module, which allows point-to-point routing

Note that very few of the programs you mention know about the ALSA
sequencer, and so although this is definitely the best and most
flexible option, its not feasible without source code changes.

--p