[linux-audio-dev] hdrbench on FreeBSD MUCH better filesystem latencies than on Linux :-(

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] hdrbench on FreeBSD MUCH better filesystem latencies than on Linux :-(
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 14:45:42 EEST

Hi,
Tommy Hallgren was so nice to send me some results of hdrbench on his FreeBSD
box.
The bufferusage of hdrbench is amazingly low, compared to Linux:

http://www.linuxdj.com/hdrbench/freebsd-18-18.gif

mere 10K samples (40kbytes) while streaming 36 tracks of 180KB/sec each, while

on linux I get these bad (compared to freebsd) results:
http://www.linuxdj.com/hdrbench/graph-18-18.gif

up to 150K samples buffer usage. 15times more ..
:-(

(Notice that my box is almost identical to Tommy's one dual Celeron with IBM
7200rpm EIDE UDMA disk

I don't understand why this can happen since freebsd basically has to overcome
to the same metadata updating problems, synching, buffer cache flushing etc.

Any linux guru knows, why FreeBSD has such an edge over linux in this test.
( the I/O performance in MB/sec is quite the same, but filesystem latencies,
and especially the stalls during the disk I/O are really tiny compared to
Linux) ?

for more infos on hdrbench:
http://www.linuxdj.com/hdrbench.

Benno.