[linux-audio-dev] JAZZ bugs, wish list

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] JAZZ bugs, wish list
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 01:57:09 EEST

Hi,

I've just started using Jazz 4.0 and overall it works pretty well
for me. I feel like it has a lot more potential than it's realized,
though. Below are some bugs I've noticed and features I think would
be generally useful to Jazz users (not just me).
If anyone here is involved in developing Jazz, could you please
comment on the following, and forward it to other relevant parties?

I'd work on it myself but my C knowledge is minimal, and I know
nothing at all of wxwindows.

Bugs, Gripes, and Wish List for Jazz-4.0.0-1

(RPM install on a RedHat Linux 6.2 system, using OSS 3.9.1h driver)

Miscellaneous
---------------

* BUG: Any idea why this file plays at the wrong tempo?
  http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo/jazz-groove-1.mid.gz
  I created it in Jazz 4.0.0. The tempo should be 175. Jazz displays
  the tempo as 175 but plays it at 120. (weird, it wasn't doing that
  yesterday.) playmidi and timidity both play the same file at the
  correct tempo. In fact it appears that Jazz is playing
*everything*
  too slow today, including downloaded .mid files I've never had
trouble with
  before!

* BUG: In the main window, clicking the zoom buttons changes the
  selection. Selection should be independent of display... I can't
  think of any possible reason to want it to do what it does,
  therefore it's a bug and not merely a gripe.

* BUG (?): In the File -> Load dialog, the directory selection box
takes up
  most of the window, and the file selection box only has room for
files with
  about 15 characters or less. Since the entire path is given for
each
  filename, nothing fits!

* GRIPE: (low priority but I'm sure it'll get me sooner or later)
  Why is there a 500-bar limit per song? This should either be
  unlimited, or at least a number so that high no-one will ever
notice
  it. (It would be easier to set this parameter with an entry
widget,
  not a slider!)

* GRIPE: Why only 12 steps of transpose? Frequently I transpose
things 3
  octaves which means I have to transpose it 3 times.

* FEATURE REQUEST: In the main window, dragging selection off the
  screen should cause scrolling. This is "normal" behavior for just
  about any app that edits anything (text, soundfiles, graphics...)
  It's useful and users expect it.

* FEATURE REQUEST: text search in event list!

* FEATURE REQUEST: (low priority) import / export event list as
ASCII
  file

Keybindings
--------------------

* INTERFACE GRIPE: Why is "Undo" under Misc? It's under "Edit" in
just
  about every application I've ever used on any platform (including
  emacs)! Furthermore, "Undo" and "Redo" really should have quicker
  keybindings. (Like Gimp: ctrl-Z and ctrl-R)

* BUG: keybindings don't all work. Some menus use capital and
  lowercase letters, e.g. in "Edit", L is Length and l is Cleanup.
But
  capital L is ignored; there's no way to select Length from the
  keyboard except to scroll down with the arrow keys.

* FEATURE REQUEST: (a general solution to the previous two items)
  Keybindings should be totally configurable from a config file.
For
  that matter, menu layout should be, too! XML or something like a
  window-manager config file would be nice. To provide a measure of
  idiot-proofing, you should be warned at startup if you've wiped
out
  an existing keybinding without providing a new one, or if you've
  left some commands out of the menu layout. There should also be an
  option to turn off customization via the Prefs menu, maybe with
  options like "use default menus" and "use default keybindings".
That
  way you could always get things working again if you accidentally
do
  something real dumb with your config file.

Input / Output
-----------------

* FEATURE REQUEST: Option to output midi bytes to a named pipe or to
  stdout. This would allow Jazz to be connected to any software
  synthesizer that can read midi bytes on stdin. See below for list
of
  known apps that work this way. This would require Jazz be able to
  handle its own timing (at present I think it relies on
  /dev/sequencer for timing?) ... maybe not trivial, but probably
  not that hard either, and worth it, I think. For one thing, some
  people have no external synthesizers and no onboard soundcard
synth;
  software synths are their only recourse. For another thing,
  software synths kick ass!
           Soft synths that *definitely* can accept
           midi input on stdin:
           RTSynth http://www.vtourist.com/rtsynth/
           csound (linux version)
           http://AIMI.dist.unige.it/AIMICSOUND/AIMICSOUND_home-en.html

           Soft synths that *should* but I haven't tried it yet:
           Ultramaster Juno6 http://www.ultramaster.com/juno6/index.html
           Quasimodo http://www.quasimodo.org

* FEATURE REQUEST: While we're at it, Jazz should be able to read
midi
  bytes streaming in from stdin or a named pipe. This should be
easier
  than writing to stdout because you don't have to do any scheduling
-
  just note the time each byte arrives. This would allow you to
  capture streams generated from any midi tool that can write to
  stdout in realtime, for example SoftWerk:
          http://www.op.net/~pbd/softwerk/softwerk.html
  and possibly KeyKit (haven't tried it):
      http://thompsonresidence.com/keykit/index.html

* FEATURE REQUEST: The above features would *really* shine if it
were
  possible to select the output device or FIFO on a per-channel
basis
  (or even per track!) That way you could send channel 1 to one
  softsynth, channel 2 to a different one, channel 3 to a soundcard
  wavetable synth, etc... (Of course running 2 softsynths at once
  would require a way to mix their outputs so you can hear them, but
  that's not Jazz's problem. Something like aRts sound server should
  allow this.)

Miscellaneous

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.