Re: [linux-audio-dev] File interchange with ProTools?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] File interchange with ProTools?
From: Kevin Hremeviuc (khremeviuc_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 02:50:22 EEST

--- Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi> wrote: >
>From: "Paul Kellett"
> <paul.kellett_AT_maxim.abel.co.uk>
> >
> >OMF/OMFI - in use, but can it be used freely?
> >AAF - seems to focus on media delivery, also some
> overlap with MPEG-4 !?
> >
> >AES-31 (IIRC) - is open and available but not fully
> implemented yet?
>
> Are docs available? I have not found use for AES
> stuff because the
> docs are not freely available via Internet.
>
> I'm sure if we start from OMFI or AAF, we don't have
> to rewrite
> everything for implementing others.
>
> Juhana

I agree that using an interchange file format is a
good idea. If it's a standardised format, then just
maybe it's been done from a holistic view point
(probably wishful thinking on my part).

I haven't had a look at the links mentioned yet, but
does this include midi and audio used together (as per
cubase and cakewalk (and Mac oriented studio
sequencers))? Because I would like to use audio and
midi together i.e. midi instruments playing in synch
with audio, as well as midi controllers assigned to
audio real time effects. A file interchange format
that encompasses this would be ideal.

Hope I haven't missed the point.

regards

Kev