Re: [linux-audio-dev] File interchange with ProTools?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] File interchange with ProTools?
From: Kevin Hremeviuc (khremeviuc_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 02:27:59 EEST

--- Paul Winkler <slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com> wrote: > Kevin

http://www.avid.com/3rdparty/omfi/whatis/omfibrochure.html

http://www.AAFassociation.org/techinfo/whitepaper.html
> "The Advanced Authoring Format is a structured
> container for media
> and metadata that
> provides a single object-oriented model to
> interchange a broad
> variety of media types
> including video, audio, still images, graphics,
> text, MIDI files,
> animation,
> ^^^^^^
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> compositional
> information and event triggers. The AAF format
> contains the media
> assets and
> preserves their file-specific intrinsic information,
> as well as the
> authoring information
> (in- and out-point, volume, pan, time and frame
> markers, etc.)
> involving those media
> assets and any interactions between them."

AAF sounds a bit more comprehensive from a music
making point of view (of course there's a whole more
in there as well!).

Looking at the early phases of how I produce a song, I
have a need to capture midi (external instruments) and
audio together. Later on down the track I may be
working purely in audio. However, if I want to go back
a step and re-do a bit captured from an external
instrument, I'll need midi and audio together. As yet
midi and audio is a non event in Linux. It would be
nice to use a comprehensive interchange format (with
the fringe benefit of being able to take the file from
one platform/application to another) and set a
precendent.

I know, I don't want much!

http://global.ihs.com/doc_detail.cfm?COUNTRY_CODE=US&LANG_CODE=ENGL&document_name=AES31-3