Re: [linux-audio-dev] File interchange with ProTools?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] File interchange with ProTools?
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 13:15:32 EEST

Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> >From: Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi>
> >
> >I started OMFI project by writing all classes (whatever). No code yet.
> >Check it out at "http://www.funet.fi/~kouhia/omfi.tar.gz". It looks
> >like the specs don't tell the exact data in the files; can somebody verify
> >this? I have only the specs not any example code or SDK.
>
> Comments please!
>
> I found out that AAF doesn't install on Windows 2000 and thus it maybe
> does need an NT. Anyone has NT? I only need to get the package unpacked
> and repacked as zip or tar.gz.

Another sticky issue: here's an excerpt from the license you have to
agree to before you can download the SDK:

Limited Use License

Avid Technology, Inc. ("AVID") grants you, the end user
("Licensee"), the non-transferable, non-exclusive right,
without the right to sublicense or rent, to use
the AAF SDK software source code (together with any upgrades,
modified versions or updates thereof, the "Software") solely
for your internal purposes. You may copy the
Software to multiple computer systems within your
organization for development purposes, but you may not
distribute the Software outside of your organization. You
may modify the Software. AVID grants you the license to
distribute unlimited copies of the Software compiled in
executable form only as linked into your software
applications.

...so it looks like there can be no open-source redistributing of
linux AAF code. :( I guess we could create a library implementation
of AAF and distribute that binary-only, and just link it into our
apps...

I wonder if the same is true of OMFI and AES-31...

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.