Re: [linux-audio-dev] File interchange with ProTools?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] File interchange with ProTools?
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 19:01:53 EEST

>Another sticky issue: here's an excerpt from the license you have to
>agree to before you can download the SDK:
[ ... ]
>the AAF SDK software source code (together with any upgrades,
>modified versions or updates thereof, the "Software") solely
[ ... ]
>distribute unlimited copies of the Software compiled in
>executable form only as linked into your software
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>...so it looks like there can be no open-source redistributing of
>linux AAF code. :( I guess we could create a library implementation
>of AAF and distribute that binary-only, and just link it into our
>apps...

I understood the licence so that we may still write the library from
scratch by ourself. We only have to find out what is the AAF file
formats. We already have the API specs as they can be found from
the webpage.

In any case, because it looks the exact file format is not told in specs,
I'm looking at doing my own AAF clone. It would not be compatible but
the API would be the same. Then it is a small step to make it AAF
compatible later. (Of course, if ever I get those AAF source codes
unpacked, I could look the exact file formats from the source.)

In no case would that be a wasted time because similar routines are needed
in a multitrack editor and the like. And we need such standard to Linux
too, our or their.

Juhana