Re: [linux-audio-dev] Soundcards

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Soundcards
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 07:37:38 EEST

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000, Adriaan Pelzer wrote:
> [...]

The bigger "models" have the very same chips and SNR, but there are
more differences than the software. The bigger ones come with
brackets with extra connectors, and the Platinum model includes a
5.25" unit with audio + MIDI connectors. You may or may not care
about these details. AFAIK, the cards are all the same, except that
the cheapest models don't even have all the feature connectors on
the card. (Don't know if all the other components are there -
probably not!)

> IMHO, Live! is the best value-for-money card anywhere to be found. Its SNR
> is superb

Indeed, it's almost True 16 Bit Quality, and it's virtually free
compared to anything from the older generation of cards. :-) (BTW,
"true 16 bit quality" is far, far better than what you get from the
average so-called 16 bit sound card, as you're probably aware of
already. 70 dB != 96 dB...)

> even compared to the AWE64

Yep.

The AWE64 is pretty much bogus, actually. Indeed, at least the Gold
version (NOT the same analog cirquitry as the other AWE64 cards!) is
a lot better than the other SB16 relatives, but the frequency
response curve reveals that it's not even close to "Pro" quality in
real use. Having compensated for the Grand Canyon class midrange dip,
the AWE64 Gold doesn't sound all that clean any more... And then,
the AWE64 still can't do real full duplex. The Live! cards can.

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'