Re: [linux-audio-dev] File interchange with ProTools?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] File interchange with ProTools?
From: Richard Guenther (richard.guenther_AT_student.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 15:08:10 EEST

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Paul Winkler wrote:

> I agree. And your approach seems sensible. But I do think 100%
> compatibility should be the goal... there are two things we'd gain:
> 1) linux implementation of a (I hope) well-thought-out DAW &
> multimedia file format

Please, if you need to go your own way anyways, try to get that file
format unix-like. So f.i. use the ar format as container for f.i.
individual audio tracks and a seperate metadata file, f.i. structured
using XML. [This is the way GLAME will create its internal format -
anybody knows of existing "single-track" audio-file-format which can
deal with float sample data? (wav doesnt)]

> 2) file exchange with other platforms & systems.
>
> I think 2 is equally important as 1 if we want to be able to take
> our work to/from other studios.

Of course.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_student.uni-tuebingen.de>
WWW: http://www.anatom.uni-tuebingen.de/~richi/